I have some good friends who grew up with Hamburger Helper type meals and this is a favorite comfort food. So, I took Alaska Spice Shop’s Tundra Taco spice blend and created a healthier, tastier version. It’s a riff off a Chili Mac – but with Taco, not Chili, seasoning (a very specific request). It’s a very easy recipe to make.
Time Estimate – 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 1 lb organic 95% lean ground beef
- 1 – 3 tbs Tundra Taco Spice Blend
- 1 bunch of organic cilantro
- 15 oz can organic black beans
- 16 oz Salsa (jar or fresh)
- 3 cups organic rotini pasta
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 cups organic Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Brown the hamburger in a large skillet. When it’s about half way done, mix in 1 tbs of tundra taco spice blend.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Mix them into the cooked, and seasoned ground beef.
- Using scissors, cut the cilantro bunch into the spiced ground beef.
- Taste for spiciness level – if you want more spice, mix in 1 more tbs of Tundra Taco.
- Mix in the salsa. Taste again for spiciness level. Add in another tablespoon of Tundra Taco if you want more spice.
- Boil 6 cups of water with 1 tbs salt.
- Add in 3 cups of rotini pasta.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes until it’s done.
- Strain the pasta and put in a large bowl
- Mix one cup of the cheese in with the pasta.
- Add the burger mix to the pasta and mix to coat the pasta.
- Line a plate with 1/8th of the shredded lettuce.
- Put 1/8th of the burger/pasta mix.
- Top with 2 tbs of the shredded cheese.