Soft White Wheat Berries are lower in gluten and is the type of wheat used for pastries. A friend asked me to create a recipe for pie crust with my sprouted grains – she has an issue digesting conventional flour.
Pastries are much more delicate and require a different level of care with sprouted grains as whole wheat flours require more time to hydrate. Higher-fat butter generally produces a flakier crust so we use this as well to help with the sprouted grain flour.
- Food Processor
- 4 six-inch ceramic pie plates for the chicken pot pies
There is a technique called “pie crumbs” that gives the sprouted grain flour longer time to hydrate with the butter.
- 2 cups sprouted grain white wheat berries milled on fine, then frozen.
- 1 pound 85% butter fat, butter, frozen, then grated.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a food processor, mix the salt, frozen flour and frozen grated butter into crumbs.
- Store in a freezer-grade zip lock bag in the freezer until ready to use.
- Start this process three hours before you need to make pie crusts.
- Measure out 100g of the frozen pie crumbs to make four, six-inch crusts for the chicken pot pie.
- Let thaw out in a bowl for an hour.
- Mix up to 1/4 cup ice water into the pie crumbs – one tablespoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Wrap in saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Divide into four equal sections.
- Cover the rolling surface and rolling pin with flour.
- Roll out each section into a six-inch circle.
- Cover the six-inch pie plates with the pie crusts AFTER filling them with the Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- 6 tbs butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbs poultrygeist seasoning
- 1/3 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken bone broth (homemade) – warmed
- 2 tbs cream
- 2 cups diced chicken (if you don’t have leftover, cook up four chicken thighs)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup par-cooked diced carrots
- 1 tsp salt (added 1/4 tsp at a time – taste to make sure it does not get too salty)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Egg wash – 1 egg white with 1 tsp water
- Melt the butter
- Add in the diced onions and the poultrygeist seasoning
- Cook over low heat until the onions are translucent
- Add in 1/3 cup flour, coating the onions.
- Add in the warm chicken bone broth
- Stir and cook on low until thickened
- Add in the cream and stir
- Add in the chicken, peas, and carrots
- Season with the salt 1/4 tsp at a time until salted to taste.
- Season with the 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Fill the four pie plates with equal portions of the chicken pie filling.
- Cover each pie with a pie crust – crimping at the edges to seal the pie filling.
- Brush the top of the pie crusts with the egg wash and put a couple slits in each crust.
Cook for 45 minutes or until the top crust turns brown.
Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes before enjoying.