This chili has a little heat, and a great flavor. I’ve made it before with smoked sausages for a freeze dried meal, but this time, I smoked chicken thighs that had been dry rubbed with my white chile spice blend.
- 1 pound dried Cannellini beans (sometimes called “White Kidney Beans”)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 red peppers
- 4 cups homemade chicken bone broth
- Zest and juice of one medium lemon
- 1 tbs white chili spice blend
- 1 tbs olive oil
White Chili Spice Blend
- 1 Tsp Allepo Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried lemons
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp smoked salt
The day before:
- Soak the Cannellini beans overnight
- Grind the white chili spices in a magic bullet or clean coffee grinder (this makes enough for this recipe)
- Coat the chicken thighs with 2 tsp of the white chili spice blends and let it rest, covered in the fridge over night.
The day of:
- Cook the soaked Cannellini beans in the 4 cups of chicken bone broth and 2 cups of water. Add in 1/2 tsp of the white chili spice blend.
- Smoke the Chicken thighs on the smoker at 200 F for an hour. (they will cook all the way through in the chili).
- Heat olive oil on medium-low and add in 1/2 tsp white chili spice blend in a 6-quart stock pot.
- Cut seasoned, smoked chicken thighs into 1/2 inch cubes and brown in heated olive oil (takes about 5 minutes).
- Add in the diced onions and red peppers – stir and cook on medium-low for about five minutes – until onions and peppers start to get soft.
- Add in the cooked Cannellini beans with the cooking liquid, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add in the lemon zest and the lemon juice.
- Make sure the chicken thigh pieces are cooked through and taste them to check if it needs more seasoning or lemon juice.
- Cover and simmer on low for up to an hour to give the ingredients time to meld. You may need to add a little water if it’s too thick to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
- Serve in wide bowls with a spritz of lemon and a sprinkle of shredded Monterey jack Colby blend.
- Accompany with a chopped romaine & fresh herb salad lightly dressed with lemon and shredded parmesan.
- Include a Cornbread muffin made with sprouted soft red wheat.